Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Goodbye, Kirby

Kirby Puckett died yesterday, one day after suffering a stroke. I am a lifelong Red Sox fan, but I've always had a special place in my heart for the Twins. Year after year, they put a team on the field that contends for their division despite having one of the lowest payrolls in a very small market. For too few years, including 2 championship years, Kirby Puckett was the heart and soul of the Twins. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2001 despite the fact that his career was comparatively short for a Hall of Famer due to glaucoma.

Kirby was an easy player to love. He seemed to be everyman, but, oh what he could do on the diamond. Besides being a feared hitter for both power and average, he also won 6 Gold Gloves. He was enthusiastic and a clubhouse favorite.

It's too easy for us to overlook the demons when someone shines so brightly. I don't want to dwell on Kirby's demons, but it got me to thinking about the people I love and the demons that I overlook. I'll make that a seperate post.

No comments: