Monday, March 06, 2006

Born To Be Warriors

In this country, we are raised from birth to be contrary. We are adversarial in nearly all of our encounters with our fellow persons. It matters not the topic of discussion, we have a Pavlovian reaction to counter any statement made. Of course, many times the original statement is designed to draw us into an argument, which we usually know has no chance of changing anyone's mind. In this Brave New World of electronic media and instant feedback, people seem to me to be more inclined to speak in an inflammatory way. I fear civility is a thing of the past.

Don't get me wrong, I recognize the need for inflammatory speech. Progress would halt without it. But, we now start there and leave no room for negotiation. I surely would like to see a leader that worked to BUILD a consensus rather than one that works to DESTROY civility and compromise. I want a leader who strives to appeal to what is best in all of us and not to our basest instincts.

Please show me that I am wrong. Please show me that there are reasonable people with different ideologies. Please show me that there are people who disagree strongly with me and still have great respect for me. People who may think I'm a fool, or an idiot, but who are smart enough and humble enough to recognize that they may be mistaken.

Until then, much love. Peace.

No comments: