Thursday, May 11, 2006

Just Like in the Movies

Today was the funeral, and the weather was made for it. Overcast, gray and misting rain. Take out the preacher and hymns (although cousin S. gave a beautiful rendition of "Amazing Grace") and you couldn't ask for a better funeral. I heard some great stories about Al today. I think you could have gone to this funeral today having never met Al, and come away feeling you'd missed out on something special. You'd be right.

Al had gone golfing last Friday with his younger son. He told us the score was within 3 strokes, but he wouldn't say which way.

Apparently, between heart attacks on Saturday, he had his nurses in stitches with the testicle story. If I could script my exit, it would look alot like Al's.

Al's oldest son, Rick, told us the story of a visiting vacation. Al needed a new battery for his car. Rick, knowing of his father's thriftiness, expected him to choose the cheapest of some 8 models that fit his car. Instead, he noticed Al eyeing a very expensive model. "This one's got an 8 year warranty." Rick thought that surely, at Al's age he wouldn't buy that expensive battery. Well, he did. Rick checked under the hood, and wouldn't you know that warranty expired this month.

Al kept a bottle of Single Malt Scotch. I forget what he was saving it for, but it was 57 years old. I noticed that it was missing when I was over there today. I have a pretty good idea where it is. Cheers, Al!

No comments: