Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Colbert

I've had some time to ponder Stephen Colbert's WHCD speech and I am now prepared to make few comments. I was going to call it a roast, but a roast is typically delivered by someone who actually either loves or at least respects the subject.

I think this may be the definitive moment that we have all been waiting for. The moment that we will look back on 30 years from now as the point where the vacuum seal was broken. Until this moment, we liberals had been unable to figure out a way to speak truth to evil and be heard. As cool and righteous as Neil Young and Pink are, this administration will not ever listen to them, which would be OK if the people would listen. They may not have before, but people will start now, because Stephen Colbert has finally made it cool to be in opposition to this administration.

I absolutely believe something has been set in motion here. Of course, my judgment is not to be trusted, as I am still amazed when I meet anyone who isn't a liberal. Actually, I never have met someone who isn't liberal. Everyone I've ever met believes that they should be allowed to conduct their lives according to their values without outside interference. But, I digress.

How did I end up taking up for a Catholic from South Carolina? WTF?

In unrelated news, I live in the state with the lowest per capita murder rate in the country, and we don't have the death penalty. That's right, suck on it!

P.S. - Hi to LGND's mom!

8 comments:

gugon said...

I hope you're right about something being set in motion. I thought Colbert was brilliant.

Funny you should say you've never met anyone who isn't liberal. For me it's almost the opposite. I often feel like an island - for as long as I can remember I'm surrounded by 80% republicans. I've become conditioned to never discuss politics in public - because it's like beating my head against a concrete wall.

My environment is mainly white collar automotive employees of S.E. Michigan - and I can almost draw a line: anyone who makes over, say, $80,000 a year is AUTOMATICALLY a republican. I don't make nearly that much, but even if I did, I can't imagine my personal income tax percentages being a determining factor on my political views. There are too many REALLY important issues right now. In the grand scheme of things, my pocketbook doesn't mean a thing.

Anyway - didn't mean to go off on a tangent.

Yellow Dog said...

Gugon,

I should clarify. I've met plenty of people who believe that the know best how others should conduct their lives. They lash out at the ACLU and the like. but these are the same folks who, inexplicably, feel persecuted by a "war" on christiandom. They sure want their rights respected. Then they are liberal.

The (liberal)Girl Next Door said...

I hope you are right about something being set in motion, I think I feel it too, or maybe it's just a coincidence that things seem to be falling apart for this administration at this moment.

I love your definition of a liberal, I'll have to use that on some of my conservative friends.

And my mom will love the personal hello, she thinks you're great!

Yellow Dog said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yellow Dog said...

LGND,

I think Colbert's sense of humor will get the young, vocal, activists.

You can tell alot about a person by the way their children speak about them, so I think your mom is great, too. Usually (this is a rare exception) when I givea shout out to someone's mom, it aint out of respect.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on Colbert. It felt like a turning point to me as well.

Yellow Dog said...

Thanks, Betty. nice of you to stop by.

Rory Shock said...

gotta check out the colbert thing ... re: the death penalty ... I really do believe in the brutalization effect of governmental killing ... so ... I think there is a definite relationship between lack of death penalty and low homicide rate (long hard winters seem to help too, as I recall from murder stats up in minnesota, another non-death penalty state ...